Wednesday, September 17, 2008

After 14 Months, Karen Finds a Home


If you've visited our cat room in the past 14 months, you probably saw Karen, a black and white cat in one of our kitty "apartments." We tried to keep her separate from other cats because she really didn't like them. She could be affectionate, but on her own terms. She didn't particularly like to be picked up. Over those 14 months hundreds of other cats were adopted, but Karen remained with us. Our kids' camp children had even written "Adopt Karen" in chalk on our sidewalk. We were beginning to think there was no one out there for her.

But last weekend a miracle occurred. A woman came in looking for an independent, adult cat. One of our tireless cat room volunteers, CarolAnne, showed her Karen. She explained Karen's temperament and behavior, and the woman was not put off. After Karen settled down in the visiting room, she jumped up on the bench where the woman was sitting. Then she climbed in her lap and licked her face! CarolAnne was amazed. The woman loved Karen's independent nature and decided to adopt her.

The next day CarolAnne couldn't wait to find out how Karen was doing in her new home so she called the adopter. She reported that Karen had made herself completely comfortable in her new surroundings and was at that moment sitting in her lap. Everyone at the shelter is overjoyed. We knew Karen would be a great companion for the right person. We are so thankful for our adopters who open their hearts and their homes to animals that need them so much.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen deserves this wonderful new home. This is a great story with a happy ending

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely wonderful! My husband and I recently adopted a cat and we admire how each cat is treated wonderfully and individually. Best of luck to Karen in her new home. This is a very inspiring story. It goes to show that there is someone out there. It really gives hope to those who have resided in the shelter for a long time... Good luck to all

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely delighted that Karen was adopted. I check the website every few days and thought Karen would be in the shelter forever. She is a lucky girl to have a new home and to have been put with the Arlington Animal Shelter.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful story. Earlier this week, I also visited the shelter and enjoyed CarolAnne's tour and introductions. In fact, she introduced me to "Ginger", another very shy kitty who's been at the shelter since March 2008 awaiting her new home. Just three weeks ago I lost my own beloved, Covington, whom I adopted from AWLA in February 1997. Covington was a wonderful companion and, like Karen, was very shy and didn't immediately seem like the most friendly or affectionate cat. To the contrary, Covington was a sweet, loving and perfect companion until she could no longer fight the cancer that ravaged her body. Covington died peacefully on September 23, 2007. Although I'm not certain that I'm yet ready to adopt another cat into my home, I was struck by CarolAnne's kindness and patience as she introduced me to "Ginger" and we discussed an adoption just weeks following my own pet's death. CarolAnne simply told me that I would know when the time is right; she said that for some that time is within days. For others it's weeks, months or years. But she assured me that I would know. Since my visit with Ginger earlier this week, I've thought continuously of her and check the website daily hoping that she'll find a new home. However, if that person is me, I trust that CarolAnne is right and I'll just know...
Great news for Karen and another affirmation of the wonderful work of the AWLA staff and volunteers. Thank you for bringing me to my beloved Covington back in 1997 and I trust that you will unit me with my next perfect companion - when the time is right... -- Jana

Anonymous said...

I wish Karen and her person a long happy life together. God bless the wonderful staff who cared for her until she found the right home.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for Karen!
Now if only someone will adopt Gia. She is a very shy cat, and was a very young mother. I fostered her and her 3 babies, who were all wonderful, and were adopted quickly.
Gia is shy, not crazy about being picked up, but who loves to be stroked, and loves other cats. She is a beautiful sleek black cat, and is so attention starved. I hope she finds a home soon.